The co-cathedral – The Co-cathedral (Konkatedrala) dominates the whole city centre of the town and could be seen from the far distance. It is the tallest building in Osijek and very probably the tallest in the whole region of Slavonija. Imagine the view from its top in particularly if knowing that Slavonija is predominatelly very flat area.
Tvrđa – Old part of the town – The Fortress (Tvrđa) is the oldest part of Osijek, built at the strategically important point next to the Drava river crossing. After it was ruled by Ottomans for 161 years the fortress was reconquered and redesigned by Austrian rulers of Croatia in the 17th and 18th century. The main plan of the fortress was made by Austrian engineer Eugen count of Gosseau. Tvrdja in Osijek was, along with Slavonski Brod fortress and Karlovac fortress, one of the most important military points of south-eastern borders of Austro-Hungarian empire. Military post in Tvrdja lasted till the 1990s when the Yugoslav army finally left buildings they were occupying. Nowadays Tvrdja has several museums, cultural institutions, schools and faculties. There are plans for most of the faculties of the Osijek University to be housed here in the future.
The Holy Trinity Square – The Holy Trinity square (Trg Svetog Trojstva) is the central place in Tvrdja. Simply by following changes of the name of the square one can follow the history of this place. First it was known as the Weinplatz (Wine square), later it was named Parade Square, Main Square, Franz Joseph Square, Holy Trinity Square, Karadjordjevic square, Partisan square…… finally to get back its old name in 1992. Important military buildings were built around the square in the 18th and 19th century, as well as several palaces and tradesmen houses. The square is dominated by the Holy Trinity Column and two public water wells – Wasserbrunnen built in red stone. (Osijek was the first town in Slavonia to get municipal water supply system in early 18th century). Today the City Museum and the Rectorate of the Osijek University are located in the buildings around the square.
The Water Gate – The Water Gate (Porta Aquatica/Vodena vrata) are the only remaining gates of Tvrdja, and were built in 1715 during the works on the bastions and walls around Tvrdja. The Water Gates are located on the northern side of Tvrdja, leading towards the Drava river. Inside the gates there is a small memorial dedicated to general Johann Stehan von Beckers, the builder of Tvrdja.
The Water Tower (Vodotoranj) – The massive walls of the Fortress are best visible on its northern side, where they didn’t have to make space for roads and new constructions. In the northern bastion the Water Tower is the only still remaining watch tower. Probably it wasn’t demolished because it also had its role in the water supply system that was built in the 18th century.
Drava promenade – The promenade is lined with flower boxes with cafe tables inserted in between, making it an ideal place to sit and relax in warm sunny days. The promenade is very popular for walking, cycling and jogging. A chain pedestrian bridge connects it with the other bank of Drava where ZOO and a watersports centre “Copacabana” are located. While the ZOO did not totally recover after the war (many animals found their shelter in European zoos and were never brought back) “Kopika” is very popular among local people in the summer months.
Main square – The triangular square named after Ante Starčević is the central square in Osijek. Recently it was refurbished, not very successfully though. The main feature of the square are way-too-expensive benches and a fountain that sprays water all over the place in irregular intervals. The square is surrounded by 19th and 20th century buildings, and below the stone surface there is a small shopping mall, too small to deserve such pompous glass entrances that are to be found on three corners of the square.
Sakuntala park – Sakuntala park (also known as Šetaliste Petra Preradovića) is located in the center of Osijek, between the main square and European avenue. It is another green oasis that Osijek is so proud of, bringing the themes of exotic mythology in a busy urban environment.
European Avenue – European Avenue (Europska avenija) is the main street that connects main square with Tvrdja and Donji Grad (Lower town). On its northern side there is a row of Secession (Art Nouveau) houses with front-gardens. These richly decorated buildings were built between 1903 and 1906 and make the most important Secession complex to be found in Croatia. This tree-lined avenue with broad walkways is one of the most pleasant places to walk and admire the beauty of the old Turn-of-the-century architecture.
Things to do in Osijek: http://www.ffos.unios.hr/about-osijek